Physical Science w/Physics Focus – LAB
This course introduces students to the hows and whys of the physical world around them. Students will have the opportunity to explore the concepts of forces/motions, work/energy, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, light, sound, and electromagnetic waves in an engaging and hands-on format. In this blended format, students will have the opportunity to earn both a Physical Science and/or a Physics credit in a combination of in-class lectures and activities and at-home reinforcement activities presented through Google Classroom.
Textbook: Glencoe Physical Science, Glencoe Physics
Labs Sneak Peek: We will create, problem solve, measure, and find out!
- Create a phone case out of recycled materials to protect a cell phone. Build and use an Arduino accelerometer to measure the impact of the phone being dropped. Can we keep the cell phone safe?
- How much force is needed to operate a pogo stick?
- How do they launch those t-shirts so far at the ballpark?
- How is coded information transmitted into sound? Use Makey-Makey materials and coding to make it happen.
- How exactly does electromagnetism work?
All these projects and so much more are covered in this year-long lab science course.