Walnut Grove Coop has joined services with Junior Achievement of Delaware to offer Financial Literacy for high school students. This course can support a full credit in Consumer Science. The course is 16 weeks long. Classes are held Wednesdays from 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm November through February with a culminating Capstone Project “simulation” field trip to the Junior Achievement Financial Park Wilmington location. Parents may be asked to volunteer at the field trip and during some of the course classes. Volunteers help students practice the skills by reenacting real-life situations like interviews and transactions.
An advanced curriculum and real-life simulation to apply learned skills give high school students a more personal focus. Students select their careers and define their future lifestyle and financial goals. The advanced simulation allows students to see the long-term impact of their education, savings, and credit decisions.
Following participation in the program, students will be able to:
- Take a deep dive into the financial consequences of life choices and decisions impacting long-term goals.
- Choose a “journey into adulting,” where they select personas based on career and education selections.
- Navigate financial decisions through various life stages, budgeting beyond 1 month.
Register for Financial Literacy
This course will meet:
- November 2, 9, 16, 23, and 30
- December 7, 14
- January 4, 11, 18, 25
- February 1, 8, 15, 22
- And a date in March TBD for the Capstone Field Trip to Junior Achievement
Fees to register:
- Members enrolled in Wednesday PBL do not pay
- Current members of Tuesday or Friday High School programs will pay $50 per person
- New participants will pay $100 per person and will also receive a Membership for the 2022-2023 academic year